Flagfox 6.0rc1 has been posted to AMO’s beta channel for people to test. Everyone who is already signed up for the Flagfox beta channel should automatically get the update. If nothing explodes too drastically, this will be the version released to the main update channel, shortly. The only differences between 6.0rc & 6.0 release should be the lack of an “rc” in the version field and a different first-run URL. If you’re in the beta and leave this new update installed, you’ll get future beta updates; if you install the final release version, you’ll only get main release updates.
Note: Due to short litany of problems with the WebExtension API under Firefox 56, the soft minimum required Firefox version will be set to Firefox 57 on AMO. The addon itself will technically be installable in 56, but the site won’t suggest it. I may or may not change that in the future.
There’s a bunch of fixes since the 3rd beta, but nothing particularly drastic. I made an attempt at getting the more complex host-IP cache needed to have IPs be accessible to the new in-page Flagfox menu actions, but I don’t want to delay releasing a stable working version to the main channel if I now have it, seeing as it’s a month and a half overdue to run in current Firefox (non-ESR).
Flagfox 6.0rc1 changelog:
- Disabled actions that need a content script on protocols and Mozilla domains blocked by the WebExt API
- Added domain names of actions (that have a URL) to their tooltips in the options page
- Fixed keyboard affecting main options page while a subdialog is open (e.g. actions list selection)
- Fixed custom action deletes not removing the item from the menu immediately
- Changed options page to autosave actions JSON to storage rather than wait for tab close
- Fixed icon/tooltip updating for error pages
- Fixed TLD nationality not showing in tooltip for mismatch notification blacklisted ccTLDs
- Changed TLD nationality to always show for nation-restricted non-ccTLDs (IDN TLDs require Firefox 57+)
- Fixed Geotool keyboard shortcut
- Added Online Video Converter to default actions list (not in menu by default)
Remaining known issues:
- The new page element action menus do not yet support actions that use IP addresses (WIP; implementation TBD)
- A few RTL issues (always expected; Arabic and Hebrew users are probably used to seeing this in all software)
- Options edit action dialog autocomplete and help popup are disabled (cut for time; will reimplement later)
- Options page is kinda ugly, due to having to port to HTML and CSS being horrible (and me sucking at it)
- All page notifications for TLD/IP country mismatches have been disabled until I can make it work better
The only real outright bugs (aside from the results of me sucking at CSS) are in RTL locale handling, which I will get to over time. Getting the full help popup working shouldn’t take too long, so I’ll see if I can prioritize that for 6.0.1. Getting the notifications to not be crap will require me to ditch the WebExtension notifications API and try to write my own custom system, if that’s even possible, so no clue on the timeline for that.
Bug reports / feedback can be posted in a comment to this post or to the thread on the support forum. You can also email me or send me a tweet or whatever. Comments for old beta posts here will be locked; please post to the new one, so we can keep track of what’s applicable for what version.
Lastly, THANK YOU to everyone who installed the beta. I have gotten useful bug reports which have resulted in fixes for things I would’ve missed without the beta, so it’s definitely been worth it. Please don’t stop reporting new issues if you find them.